15 March 2017: The Weekly Takedown
by Jillian C. York | Mar 15 2017
- CENSORED: A Muslim woman reports that an Instagram selfie showing off her new wardrobe was removed as “inappropriate,” despite not violating the community guidelines.
- NSFW: The creator of a song about the clitoris reports that her advertisement for the song was rejected by Facebook.
- LONG READ: Behind-the-scenes: The story of the breast cancer advertisement that was meant to be censored.
- SPEECH! After the BBC alerted the company to child sexual abuse imagery on its platform, Facebook reported the media entity to local authorities.
- Professor Sarah T. Roberts explains commercial content moderation.
- A new book showcases artistic nudes censored from Instagram.
Mar 3 2016
In this week's roundup: Facebook erases culture in Indonesia, and meetings between the US Justice Department and social media companies make headlines.